Thursday, June 18, 2009

Zocalo – the language of things.

Went to a Zocalo at the Getty last evening. The only thing better than visiting the Getty in the evening is visiting the Getty in the evening with free parking!

(Note: in an age of taxation, let’s not overlook the power of free parking.)

The lecture was with author, Deyan Sudjic, titled "Why Do We Lust For Objects?", based on his book.

I was actually pretty excited for this lecture because I was hoping to answer a question I’ve been thinking about for some time, namely – why do we lust for things?

Not exactly phrased like that of course, but I’ve always wonder when shiny objects became items of desire. Medievail stories are filled with lust for treasures and the Crown's jewels, and we can even trace currency back to Some Point in History, B.C.

For this, we know there was a transaction, say for 10 sheep.

Buyer: 10 sheep, please.

Seller: OK, that will be 25 sacks of those shiny things people in caves are always gabbering about.

Buyer: Ahhh, yeah, about those sacks.

Seller: Wha- what’s wrong?

Buyer: They’re heavy, man. It’s actually 27 sacks, as I gotta give 2 sacks away to the hunchbacks to help me carry them!

Seller: What can I say? Life sucks, man. Wheel ain’t invented yet.

Buyer: How about I give 25 sacks to the old Jew, and he gives me a parchment, and I give that to you? And you can get them whenever is convenient.

Seller: Are you havin' a laugh…?

Or something like that. So we know how currency started. But when did the lust for the shiny objects begin?

If only the evening titled as such at the Getty addressed it. Don't get me wrong, great time, but the question still remains...

No comments: